Friday, March 9, 2012

My Grandfather Joseph Nicholas Fennimore

                                                                                                                                               
My Grandfather's 1910 census reads his birth place as England.  His marriage certificate has his birth place as Manchester, England.  Coming home from the burial of my Grandmother (Ethel Agnes 'Robinson' Fennimore), he told my cousin Robert Fennimore that he came from Shrewsbury, England. 

Because all vital records are centralized in the British Isles, I thought accessing them would not be difficult.  However, I couldn't find anything that came close.  I later contacted the Naturalization Board at the Southern District Court of New York after locating his name and a number on Ancestry.com.  The woman on the phone came up with my Grandfather's name, wife's name, children's (including my father), and his home address.  You can imagine my surprise when she told me that his birth place was Pescasseroli, L'Aqula, Abruzzo, Italy!  Now I'm wondering who my Grandfather was.  Why did he keep it a secret?  So, I decided to start from the beginning and the beginning is in Italy.  Monday I take off for Italy to find my roots.  I'll keep you posted during my journey.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment